5e Gallery and the HERU Organization are proud and excited to be partnering to create “the BUSinESS Program”(™) with youth of Detroit, to serve as our combined youth entrepreneurship, digital media arts and literacy, and social justice initiative. Our collective purpose is to use media to confront the various issues facing youth in our Detroit community. “the BUSinESS Program”(™) focuses on fostering the next generation of artists through mentorship and leadership training, media skills training, and entrepreneurial development. 5e Gallery and the HERU draw upon our diverse networks of highly skilled local artists to teach media-making skills including– audio recording and record production, online and print self-publishing, digital distribution, social media, video production and streaming, graffiti mural art, poetry, screen-printing, b-boying, photography and DJing. Participants also gain a sense of positive self-identity and an opportunity to engage with their peers using creative expression to take leadership in the fight against systemic oppression in our greater Detroit community.
5e Gallery & The Heru Youth win top honor @ EMEAC Green Screen Competition! for Our Video of the Detroit Future Youth Network’s Youth Food Justice Task Force! #DetroitFuture
Detroit Future Media’s Youth Program aims to strengthen and deepen youth social justice organizing in Detroit by partnering with and supporting youth programs that focus on justice based education and multimedia creation.
1. Youth led interactive programming, curriculum development, and facilitation
2. Community organizing based media projects in which youth take action to solve community problems
3. Cooperative economics based earned income strategies towards self sustainable organizations and sources of income for youth
4. Broadband adoption (increased online presence and usage)
5. Inter-sectional movement building across social, media and environmental justice issues
6.Youth created multimedia storytelling centering youth as the experts of their communities and experiences
7. Internal capacity, communication systems, and healthy work culture within organizations